One of the most common mistakes business owners make with their marketing, is to try something, find out it works, then stop doing it and try something else.
A better approach would be to find something that works, tweak a certain part of it, try it again, tweak it again, and keep doing it.
As long as something continues to work, don’t give it up. Just keep trying to improve it so it will work better.
There are several reasons why people change their marketing even though it’s working for them:
- They don’t test their ads or promotions, and they don’t monitor the results. So, they don’t know what’s working, how well what they’re doing is working, or even if it is working.
- They get tired of doing the same old thing every time, and change their ads just for the sake of change.
- They see or hear about something someone else is doing and want to see if it will work for them. Usually, very little thought goes into the decision.
When you take a close look at these reasons, you’ll notice that none of them make any sense. Yet business after business, day after day, makes one of these fatal marketing mistakes.
But, if a business owner were to implement two of the most important concepts… that of Testing and Monitoring, these mistakes could be avoided, and the result would unquestionably be more and increased profits.
One of the worst things you can do is discontinue running an ad, a mailing campaign or a promotion if it is getting results.
There are usually only three reasons you should consider changing or discontinuing a promotion:
- If you’re testing a new ad, sales letter or promotion, and you want to see if you can improve its results, then certainly, you would want to change part of it and run another test. But, you would only change one item at a time. If an ad is an absolute bomb, then you may want to consider discontinuing it altogether.
- If you’ve used a certain ad or campaign to market to your prospect list or customer base, you may not want to run the same promotion to those people again. Another promotion with a different emphasis may well be in order.
- If the ad or promotion no longer pulls a satisfactory response, then for sure, you’d want to make some changes. This why the Testing process is never complete.
The only reason you would ever want to change any ad, campaign or promotion is to see if you can make it perform better. Any other reason shouldn’t even be considered.